Businesses Continue to Locate to Londonderry

Dec 19, 2011 No Comments by

Back in 2007 developers proposed original plans to build three businesses; a Verizon Retail Store, a combination Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, and a Starbucks.  The original property was once owed by Charles E. Anderson Jr. He purchased this property in April of 1946.  Mr. Anderson was a descendant of James Anderson, one of the first 16 families to settle Londonderry.  Today the Anderson Farm is home to these three businesses.

While the store and restaurant were developed and opened as planned, financial hardships caused the Starbucks to withdraw. Instead, Londonderry received a bank.  The restaurant, Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken, opened in September of 2008, just a year after ground was broken. The companies are owned by YUM! Brands, which also owns Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers and A&W All-American Foods restaurants. Each restaurant has an unique history, beginning as far back as 1930.

Harland Sanders opened Sanders Court and Cafe in the small front room of a gas station in Corbin, Kentucky in 1930. The little restaurant eventually grew and in 1936 Sanders was made an honorary Colonel due to his contributions to the state of Kentucky. (Hence the name Colonel Sanders!) The original recipe was born in 1940 and by 1952 Sanders began actively franchising his chicken. In 1964, Sanders sold his interest in the chain for $2 million but remained the icon, even to this day. Sanders died in 1980 from leukemia and in 1986, Pepsi Co acquired the chain.

Taco Bell began as Bell’s Drive-In and Taco Tia in San Bernadino by Glen Bell. In 1962, Bell opened the first Taco Bell and two years later, the first Taco Bell franchise is opened. Just three years later, in 1967, the 110th franchise opened. In 1978, Pepsi Co purchased the Taco Bell chain. In 2010, Glen Bell died. Pepsi Co soon spun the three restaurants, KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut into Tricon Global Restaurants, which later became YUM! Brands.

The bank that eventually moved into the empty Starbucks building is the Hampshire First Bank. Before opening in Londonderry in October, 2009, Hampshire First first opened its doors in Nashua in 2006 after a chance encounter of two childhood friends at a wedding. James DelRossi, a former state banking regulator, and John Terravecchia, the founding President of Cornerstone Bank in Southern New Hampshire, were discussing the success of local banks when it became clear that there was a demand for a community bank both headquartered and managed in New Hampshire. And so began the story of Hampshire First Bank.

By February of 2006, James Dunphy was hired as President and CEO of Hampshire First. Just days after opening in Nashua in November that same year, the bank’s stock was first listed. The bank continued expanding, adding new locations over the years. Today, the bank proudly owns five New Hampshire locations, with headquarters located in Manchester.

The store, bank and restaurants are located at 68 Nashua Road on over four acres of land. The bank measures in at just under 2,000 square feet,  and the building and land together are worth approximately 1.5 million dollars. The store measures more than 4,000 square feet and the building and land together are worth more than $400,000. The restaurants measure more than 3,000 square feet and are worth nearly $700,000 including the land. Combined, the properties are worth over 2.5 million dollars.

Business, Shopping, Uncategorized

About the author

Kathy is very active in Londonderry and the southern New Hampshire Region. A advocate for business growth and a passion for outstanding community services, she brings life to the phrase "Business is Good. Life is Better!" to Londonderry. Serving as the Old Home Day Chairman since 1999 she has been a Londonderry Town Councilor, Trustee of the Leach Library, is presently Chairman of the demolition delay committee and serves or has served on many local boards and commissions.
No Responses to “Businesses Continue to Locate to Londonderry”

Leave a Reply