Visit the Great Pumpkin Patch in Londonderry New Hampshire!
Located within an hour drive from downtown Boston, the seacoast and the mountains, Londonderry’s farms offer some of the best U-Pick pumpkins in New England. Take you family for a fun fall get-a-way enjoy the pumpkins, apples, local baked goods, and the corn maze all within the picturesque community of Londonderry. The four owned family farms offer something for everybody.
Did you know…
Pumpkins are associated with Halloween and the traditional carving of the Jack-o-Lantern but did you know that pumpkins are the largest fruit in the world, and can be used to make bread, soup, and many other dishes. Pumpkins are also a great source of beta-carotene (vitamin A), and other important nutrients. Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to vitamin A in the body. In the conversion to vitamin A, beta carotene performs many important functions in overall health.
Current research indicates that a diet rich in foods containing beta-carotene may reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer and offers protect against heart disease. Beta-carotene offers protection against other diseases as well as some degenerative aspects of aging.
Pumpkin seeds can be roasted as a snack. Colonists sliced off pumpkin tops; removed seeds and filled the insides with milk, spices and honey. This was baked in hot ashes and is the origin of pumpkin pie. The name pumpkin originated from “pepon” – the Greek word for “large melon.”
Pumpkin Picking Facts
- It’s important to look at the pumpkin from all sides before picking it. Look to make sure that the entire pumpkin is colored bright orange and that there are no bruises, soft spots, scars or signs of mold.
- Without damaging the fruit sit the pumpkin upright while it is still on the vine to make sure that it will sit level once you’ve brought it home to display.
- It’s important to make sure that the stem stays attached to the pumpkin.
- Pumpkins that are ready for picking should have dried, somewhat brittle stems that make them easy to pluck from the vine.
- Carry the pumpkin by the bottom so as not to risk damage to the stem. Pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dry place prior to carving/displaying them.
Farms that have Local Pumpkins in Londonderry:
Sunnycrest Farm, Farmstand and U-Pick field open 8 AM to 5pm
Elwood Orchard, Farmstand open 8 AM to 6 PM
Merrill’s Farm, Farmstand open weekends daily
Mack’s Apples Farmstand 9 AM to 6 PM U-Pick Fields four available
Picking season begins in September and goes into late October.